So I got asked a few weeks ago to design the new costumes for the team that’ll be starring in the new Uncanny X-force Vol 2.
These designs were released today over on ComicsAlliance, along with an Interview with myself and Sam Humpries; the writer.
The interview can be found here
This is probably the most fun gig ive ever had to do my whole. Praying I get to do more of these haha.
But not only that, but a variant came out done by Olivier Coipel (my favourite comic artist), with my designs. which fucking blew my mind. I still dont think ive come to terms with it yet. But that can be found here
So I just got the clearance to post all my roughs for my X-force designs.
First up! Psylocke!
fitting because I started with her when I approached these designs. As the leader of the team I wanted to nail her design first and allow that to be the foundation for the rest of the team.
I think that this would be a good moment to talk about my design style. I have heard a criticism for my designs being that I rely on a go-to stylings and shapes in my designs, and I completely agree. I’m the first person who would own up to my own design style-ings. It was definitely something daunting when they first approached me to do the designs for this; I was worried that these designs would stick out like a sore thumb of something I designed. What sort of turned me around on it are that some of the other marvel now designs are also completely out-there compared to what had come before (im thinking about cable and the x-force, the new ironman design, cap, the hulk, etc), and you know what: they picked me to do this. They obviously know my designs, take a minute to look for my art and you’ll find a ton of them. So what this meant to me was that they know what sort of stuff that they’d get out of me, and wanted me anyway. So i took that to heart and thought “By god, if I’m doing this, then I’m making these designs me all over”.
So with that, onto the designs
1. I started off with a straight up tactical suit. The image in my head was her descending out of the ceiling into a dark room to assassinate someone; So I tried to create a design that I could believe in that situation.
2. With this one I tried to help break up all the black of the costume, and re-impliment some of the skin-stripes that are so quintessential to the Psylocke-look. But I didnt want them to be completely separated from the costume as per the Jim Lee design. I tried to take a page from the design Opena (I’m assuming) designed for the first volume of the Uncanny X-force. But add a bit more “me” to the shapes of those cut-outs.
3. More of the same. Trying to break up the black.
4. Tried something way more stealth. Visually a lot more effective for an assassin in the dark.
5. And then obviously the design that was picked. With absolutely no notes, I think. This looks pretty much exactly how the final design turned out.
So I’ll be posting the rest of the team over time.
UNCANNY X-FORCE #2
SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • RON GARNEY (A)
Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
Variant Cover by KRIS ANKA
• BISHOP VS. UNCANNY X-FORCE
• What secrets does the man with the “M” on his face bring from the future?
UNCANNY X-FORCE #3
Sam Humphries (W) • Ron Garney (A)
Cover by KRIS ANKA
Variant Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
• This is it! Bishop vs. UNCANNY X-FORCE!
• Bishop has amazing new powers that help him take down X-Force. But how did Bishop get the new power?
So excited for this book.
just some fun late night sketching.
I think this is my first time drawing Jubilee, Rachel Summers and Kitty.
UNCANNY X-FORCE #5
SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • ADRIAN ALPHONA (A)
Cover by KRIS ANKA
Variant COVER BY ED MCGUINNESS
• Guest-penciler ADRIAN ALPHONA (co-creator of RUNAWAYS) joins UXF!
• Psylocke digs deep into Bishop’s head and what she finds will shock you!
• One of the biggest X-Villains of the past 20 years threatens the Uncanny X-Force!
UNCANNY X-FORCE #10
SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • DEXTER SOY (A)
Cover by KRIS ANKA
• The skies of Madripoor run red as Uncanny X-Force face off against Fantomex…Fantomex…and Fantomex!
• We know what Psylocke did last summer, and it’s a doozy! Find out in this edition of Uncanny X-Force True Hollywood Story.
• Storm has no tolerance for your drama. She is a mutant, a goddess, and a headmistress. She’s got enough going on. Stop with the five-paragraph texts. Do not email her. No voicemail.
• What happens in Paris, stays in Paris…unless Puck finds out, in which case it’s probably all over Twitter!
since i had these saved, thought you guys might like to see a step by step for this cover.
i was actually super proud with the rendering on the back, a little bummed it doesnt really show through with the tattoo on it haha. but hey, its all about the final product.
So after I saw Evan Shaner’s Favourite X-men piece, and receiving his blessing, I decided to do my own. i love the “yearbook” photo idea.
ranked from left to right.