So I got asked a few weeks ago to design the new costumes for the team that’ll be starring in the new Uncanny X-force Vol 2.
These designs were released today over on ComicsAlliance, along with an Interview with myself and Sam Humpries; the writer.
The interview can be found here
This is probably the most fun gig ive ever had to do my whole. Praying I get to do more of these haha.
But not only that, but a variant came out done by Olivier Coipel (my favourite comic artist), with my designs. which fucking blew my mind. I still dont think ive come to terms with it yet. But that can be found here
So I just got the clearance to post all my roughs for my X-force designs.
First up! Psylocke!
fitting because I started with her when I approached these designs. As the leader of the team I wanted to nail her design first and allow that to be the foundation for the rest of the team.
I think that this would be a good moment to talk about my design style. I have heard a criticism for my designs being that I rely on a go-to stylings and shapes in my designs, and I completely agree. I’m the first person who would own up to my own design style-ings. It was definitely something daunting when they first approached me to do the designs for this; I was worried that these designs would stick out like a sore thumb of something I designed. What sort of turned me around on it are that some of the other marvel now designs are also completely out-there compared to what had come before (im thinking about cable and the x-force, the new ironman design, cap, the hulk, etc), and you know what: they picked me to do this. They obviously know my designs, take a minute to look for my art and you’ll find a ton of them. So what this meant to me was that they know what sort of stuff that they’d get out of me, and wanted me anyway. So i took that to heart and thought “By god, if I’m doing this, then I’m making these designs me all over”.
So with that, onto the designs
1. I started off with a straight up tactical suit. The image in my head was her descending out of the ceiling into a dark room to assassinate someone; So I tried to create a design that I could believe in that situation.
2. With this one I tried to help break up all the black of the costume, and re-impliment some of the skin-stripes that are so quintessential to the Psylocke-look. But I didnt want them to be completely separated from the costume as per the Jim Lee design. I tried to take a page from the design Opena (I’m assuming) designed for the first volume of the Uncanny X-force. But add a bit more “me” to the shapes of those cut-outs.
3. More of the same. Trying to break up the black.
4. Tried something way more stealth. Visually a lot more effective for an assassin in the dark.
5. And then obviously the design that was picked. With absolutely no notes, I think. This looks pretty much exactly how the final design turned out.
So I’ll be posting the rest of the team over time.
UNCANNY X-FORCE #2
SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • RON GARNEY (A)
Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
Variant Cover by KRIS ANKA
• BISHOP VS. UNCANNY X-FORCE
• What secrets does the man with the “M” on his face bring from the future?
UNCANNY X-FORCE #3
Sam Humphries (W) • Ron Garney (A)
Cover by KRIS ANKA
Variant Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
• This is it! Bishop vs. UNCANNY X-FORCE!
• Bishop has amazing new powers that help him take down X-Force. But how did Bishop get the new power?
So excited for this book.
just some fun late night sketching.
I think this is my first time drawing Jubilee, Rachel Summers and Kitty.
UNCANNY X-FORCE #5
SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • ADRIAN ALPHONA (A)
Cover by KRIS ANKA
Variant COVER BY ED MCGUINNESS
• Guest-penciler ADRIAN ALPHONA (co-creator of RUNAWAYS) joins UXF!
• Psylocke digs deep into Bishop’s head and what she finds will shock you!
• One of the biggest X-Villains of the past 20 years threatens the Uncanny X-Force!
UNCANNY X-FORCE #10
SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • DEXTER SOY (A)
Cover by KRIS ANKA
• The skies of Madripoor run red as Uncanny X-Force face off against Fantomex…Fantomex…and Fantomex!
• We know what Psylocke did last summer, and it’s a doozy! Find out in this edition of Uncanny X-Force True Hollywood Story.
• Storm has no tolerance for your drama. She is a mutant, a goddess, and a headmistress. She’s got enough going on. Stop with the five-paragraph texts. Do not email her. No voicemail.
• What happens in Paris, stays in Paris…unless Puck finds out, in which case it’s probably all over Twitter!
since i had these saved, thought you guys might like to see a step by step for this cover.
i was actually super proud with the rendering on the back, a little bummed it doesnt really show through with the tattoo on it haha. but hey, its all about the final product.
So after I saw Evan Shaner’s Favourite X-men piece, and receiving his blessing, I decided to do my own. i love the “yearbook” photo idea.
ranked from left to right.
okay so a quick post.
some people had been asking for breakdowns for the psylocke costume for cosplaying, so i whipped this up.
Ladies of X
Ladies in Red Carpet Dresses
This’ll be a print that ill have available at SDCC this year.
More info on that coming tomorrow and what not.
As suggested by Cricket, this was an idea I’ve wanted to do for YEARS. and she suggested it at the right time for me.
I’ve also always loved the Women of DC piece Adam Hughes did years ago, so this is a thematic sister to that piece, coming from a huge fan of it.
I ALSO apologize if your fav lady didn’t make it on here, there are a couple that i’m saddened about for not being able to add (armor, surge, polaris, etc), but it came down to a time thing, so I decided to only go with characters that were particularly important in the current books.
Wanda Maximoff - Kitty Pryde - Rachel Summers - Jubilation Lee - Ororo Monroe - Anna Marie - Betsy Braddock - Illyana Nikolievna Rasputina - Emma Frost
UNCANNY X-FORCE #12-13
SAM HUMPHRIES (W)
Cover by KRIS ANKA
ISSUE #12 – X-MEN 50TH ANNIVERSARY
VARIANT Also available
• Spotlight on Spiral!
• With the rest of the Uncanny X-Force in Madripoor, Spiral has devoted herself to finding new mutant Ginny.
• But is the cult Ginny belongs to more than meets the eye?
• Even six arms might not be enough to juggle all this trouble!
I got commissions from Chris Samnee and Olivier Coipel of my designs.
a video of Olivier Coipel drawing my Psylocke commission.
So here is my Variant Cover for X-men #3. im posting two, with and without cover treatment.
easily one of my favourite covers ive done so far.