So I got asked a few weeks ago to design the new costumes for the team that’ll be starring in the new Uncanny X-force Vol 2.
These designs were released today over on ComicsAlliance, along with an Interview with myself and Sam Humpries; the writer.
The interview can be found here
This is probably the most fun gig ive ever had to do my whole. Praying I get to do more of these haha.
But not only that, but a variant came out done by Olivier Coipel (my favourite comic artist), with my designs. which fucking blew my mind. I still dont think ive come to terms with it yet. But that can be found here
And finally, probably the most popular, and my favourite, of all my X-force designs: Storm.
The prompt with her was a subtle one. Sam dictated that he wanted her to both have the regal-ness that we’ve known her as but because of her recent divorce, showcase the turmoil in her life and that at one point she was the rebel of the team. Not only is she a queen and a goddess, but she is punk rock. I must be honest, I never grew up with Mohawk storm, so that whole era is unfamiliar to me. My first introduction of storm is the Jim lee white costume. So what I more thought to do was capture the badassness that a queen could have, and have the punk rock show through personality.
1. With this design I was getting used to the character. There wasn’t much that went into this except for it being my interpretation of a Storm costume, with just some of my bells and whistles. Although it doesn’t really show here, I tried to go with a more subtle storm cape, but two giant yellow pieces of fabric aren’t very subtle. Hey I’m trying shit out.
2. This is almost the exact costume that was used for the final. I wanted a more sport conservative look. More stream lined. Strong slender, tall silhouette. I thought maybe a ponytail might be more practical for this line of work.
3. My terrible pass at a punk storm. Only thing of note about this one was this is Sam locked onto the mohawk and fought for it.
4. Tried a different form of punk. I took the mohawk idea and went a little more modern with it. Looking back at this now this is way too similar to the look and vibe of the modern Frenzy.
5. Retained a more conservative body suit look, no capes or flowing, but I did go nuts on the awesome storm hair.
6. So after I sent it in what was chosen was the costume from 2, but the capes from 1. I mocked that up, and figured out something for the back. But I didn’t feel the capes worked in this context, so I fought for the dress thing from the 2nd design.
7. Sam won with the Mohawk. We got the go to include it, and I got the go to use the dress. Also simplified the back just a tiny bit. This was the version I would have wanted to stop at, but Nick wanted her to have a bit more of a graphic flare when she was flying, so we attached the dress pieces to her arms to allow them to open up when she is riding the wind.
UNCANNY X-FORCE #2
SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • RON GARNEY (A)
Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
Variant Cover by KRIS ANKA
• BISHOP VS. UNCANNY X-FORCE
• What secrets does the man with the “M” on his face bring from the future?
So excited for this book.
just some fun late night sketching.
I think this is my first time drawing Jubilee, Rachel Summers and Kitty.
UNCANNY X-FORCE #5
SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • ADRIAN ALPHONA (A)
Cover by KRIS ANKA
Variant COVER BY ED MCGUINNESS
• Guest-penciler ADRIAN ALPHONA (co-creator of RUNAWAYS) joins UXF!
• Psylocke digs deep into Bishop’s head and what she finds will shock you!
• One of the biggest X-Villains of the past 20 years threatens the Uncanny X-Force!
Ladies of X
Ladies in Red Carpet Dresses
This’ll be a print that ill have available at SDCC this year.
More info on that coming tomorrow and what not.
As suggested by Cricket, this was an idea I’ve wanted to do for YEARS. and she suggested it at the right time for me.
I’ve also always loved the Women of DC piece Adam Hughes did years ago, so this is a thematic sister to that piece, coming from a huge fan of it.
I ALSO apologize if your fav lady didn’t make it on here, there are a couple that i’m saddened about for not being able to add (armor, surge, polaris, etc), but it came down to a time thing, so I decided to only go with characters that were particularly important in the current books.
Wanda Maximoff - Kitty Pryde - Rachel Summers - Jubilation Lee - Ororo Monroe - Anna Marie - Betsy Braddock - Illyana Nikolievna Rasputina - Emma Frost
UNCANNY X-FORCE #12-13
SAM HUMPHRIES (W)
Cover by KRIS ANKA
ISSUE #12 – X-MEN 50TH ANNIVERSARY
VARIANT Also available
• Spotlight on Spiral!
• With the rest of the Uncanny X-Force in Madripoor, Spiral has devoted herself to finding new mutant Ginny.
• But is the cult Ginny belongs to more than meets the eye?
• Even six arms might not be enough to juggle all this trouble!
Storm: All-Weather Wear
with guest judges Brian Wood & I. banner designed by me.
go get your Storm on.
UNCANNY X-FORCE #14
Written by SAM HUMPHRIES
Art by TBD Cover by KRIS ANKA
• The REVENANT WAR kicks into high gear as the Uncanny X-Force must battle their fiercest enemies yet!
• The truth about the revenant Owl Queen is revealed – and she’s even more dangerous than any of our heroes expected!
• Meanwhile, Storm has been keeping her cards close to her chest – but the one she finally plays is out of this world!
Finally got to do my homage cover
so these pages aren’t too spoilery i feel, especially without any of the dialogue, so I’m gonna post em anyway.
here are my three pages for Battle of the Atom #2. these pages were written by Brian Wood, as well.
So here’s a thing.
this was a commission I did of the commissioner’s dream Shield team.
along with redesigned costumes by me.
this was a super load of fun, but i took a goddamn forever to finish it haha.
but before anyone asks, I’m currently not taking any commissions.
So all finished on this finally.
This was a piece i was making to go along with the announcement that I was going to be joining Brian Wood on X-men, but haha sorta missed timed that one (truth be told I didn’t expect them to tease it, but what can you do)
This is NOT a spoiler for anything. This piece was more a celebration of everyone on the team in this book. Just something done for fun.
The reason Karima isn’t on here was because I started this piece before she had been hinted/confirmed, as well as I hadn’t designed the new Monet costume, thusly using her X-factor costume here.
plus, Shogo. all i need to say.
and I also wanted to practice a bit on how I’m going to handle each of these characters in the book.
this is also a pretty hires image, so have fun with that. i might make this a print one day as well.